Thursday, July 31, 2008

The other half

This is the other piece of cloth to go with my first post.
Both pieces were woven with 2/20 mercerised cotton from DEA yarns.

There is 5 meters of this piece, and it is 19.5 inches/49.5cm wide off the loom.
There are some mistakes in the piece - some warp floats that is not suppose to be there and I didn't catch the mistakes until too late. Too late as in I didn't want to un-weave.
This will also be the first time I will cut into a hand woven piece of cloth, I wanted to make sure that I have enough in case I make a mistake in the cutting! (and it has happened before) A sort of insurance policy.....


It is an 8-shaft twill. The warp is 2 strands per end of the black and the weft is one of black and one of the taupe/bronze colour per pick.

It creates an interesting effect - like a quilted fabric.


This will be the effect of the sewn piece with the combination of the two. The final project is still in the contemplation stage. I am actually quite scared of cutting into the cloth. The worst that can happen: need some more fabric and I do have enough yarn left to weave some more.......

This year has been one of learning new things - using a floor loom, a boat shuttle, a temple, weaving something more than 12 inches wide and using mercerised cotton. So I guess, what's one more thing?





5 comments:

Peg in South Carolina said...

I really like your blog,both content and design. But I have one very minor problem with it. The font is very very small!! I practically have to get my nose up to the screen to read it! Any possibility that you might think about making it a bit larger?

sampling said...

Sure Peg. Sorry about that. I am still experimenting with everything. The preview seems to make them a readable size but the published one is quite different.

Peg in South Carolina said...

Of course, you are brand new to this blog thing, but you are doing splendidly! I always look forward to your posts. I accidentally changed my font quite a bit bigger. Didn't quite realize it until I saw it live. Actually quite like it. Since my posts tend to be short, people don't have to do a lot of scrolling to read it. Long posts, though, I think do better with a smaller font.

Jane said...

Am so excited to see what you create from this beautiful fabric.

It's easy to see that you have a wonderful eye for design.

Cut with conviction!
:)

Jane

Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,
Just checking your blog out. It's great! I will put a link to it on my page, and you are so ready for 2/24 cotton ;o)
Cheers
Shirley
www.shirleytreasure.wordpress.com