Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Happy food

Where is Spring? It has gone missing.......
It has been a long winter. Not so much like European or northern American winters where there is snow and freezing temperatures. It has been gloomy and wet. Don't get me wrong. I am thankful for the rain but it is the greyness that gets to you after a while.
I read somewhere that yellow food makes one happy. This winter, I have been trying that out. Not sure that it is so effective as a long term solution but certainly satisfying at times. Here is my all time favourite yellow foods.


I stocked up on mangoes at the end of last summer. I scooped out all the flesh and froze the purees. During the year, I made mango sorbet. Easy recipe: equal quantity fruit puree with 1:1 sugar syrup and churn in the ice cream machine. Beautiful sorbet at the end of 50 mins. with no effort! I do the same with apricot, plums, persimmon, etc.


My other all time favourite is this lemon syrup cake, grilled. I used to love it fresh, on the day it is baked. However, a friend of mine has introduced the grilled version. Now, I can't wait till it is ready for that.
I cut up the slices, freeze it and whenever I need a fix, I can get a slice out and put it under the grill or in the toaster. Just make sure it doesn't get burnt.
Beautiful with ice cream for a after dinner dessert as well.

And last of all, my lunchtime staple. zucchini slice with farm fresh eggs. One of my other friends has moved to the country. She has established a orchard with all sorts of fruit trees and has her own chickens.Whenever she comes to town, she always bring me some eggs. They are delicious!

1 comment:

neki desu said...

i love anything with mangoes.
another cure for winter blues is chocolate.