Sunday, July 17, 2011

First idea........

I am back to weaving and I am not really missing the knitting at all!?
Funny how I seem to be in phases with these things. 
I finished the sample, if we can call it that. It measured off loom, 190cm long by 27cm wide and turned out to be a full size scarf.
The piece off the loom looks interesting enough with the gauze-like texture where the silk SS yarn is used. I wet finished it and the texture changes:
The silk SS yarn crinkles up and the cashmere fulls up nicely. The cotton warp remained quite stable and forms a good base for the wefts. I think it has only reduced in width as the overall piece. I will have to measure it properly when it is dry.
I am trying to figure out how it relates to the picture. (See previous post.) The bumps and lumps resemble the snow on the branches, I think it is a textural thing. 
I can see how Meg and Kaz work with the digital images and the translation that results from them but my designs feel more obtuse.
After seeing how this works, I have a couple more ideas buzzing around. They just have to stew a bit in my head and then, maybe another sample this coming week. I think I have another 2 meters of warp left on Chibi.......

6 comments:

Meg said...

I can't help myself. I think this sample looks very Japanese. Is it because I know you were there, I wonder. but there's a sense of quiet movement about it.

sampling said...

Well it is woven on the Saori loom and one of the yarn is from japan.....
I think that the texture gives it movement.

Donyale said...

Ohhhh. It's lovely.

neki desu said...

very japanese indeed! and i'm meutral ;)

kirsten said...

wow. that is magical.

sampling said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! I am very pleased with the texture and am developing other pieces based on this sample.